Organisation History : Chosen Generation Africa Ltd was formally established in 2014 and is dedicated to imparting knowledge, skills and awareness amongst the poorest strata of the society with emphasis on Youth mentorship & empowerment, capacity building, looking after those in destitute (Orphans & Vulnerable Children), empowering women & single mothers, Providing AIDS Relief (under the Light of Hope Project) and other health hazards, and awareness about environment and hygiene.
Chosen Generation Africa (CGA) was initiated after numerous community outreaches in the urban slums of Kampala district, where several households were found to have children 5-18 years leave their homes due to poverty, abuse and dysfunctional families. To survive these children, ravage in rubbish dumps to find scraps to sell. Because of absence of love and security in their homes, they come out and try to earn a living but encounter a lot of challenges, they adopt various fair and foul methods for the existence. They have every potential of becoming delinquent and are at a high risk of abuse, exploitation, and exposure to HIV/AIDS.
What the organisation does :
Youth Mentorship & Empowerment Youth empowerment is a process where children and young people are encouraged to take charge of their lives. They do this by addressing their situation and then take action in order to improve their access to resources and transform their consciousness through their beliefs, values, and attitudes. Chosen Generation Africa Limited intends to build long-lasting, caring relationships between children, youth and mentors, fostering each youth’s individual growth and potential.
Under this Program we strive to:
• Build self-esteem and motivation
• Serve as a positive role model and friend.
• Provide adequate Vocational Training: The Organization intends to provide vocational training (cutting, tailoring and computer literacy) to children and youth in the slums of Rubaga Division.
• Build better relationships by planning and participating in activities together with the youth for example youth camps, Post Test Clubs and Drug awareness clubs.
• Strive for mutual respect.
• Career Guidance: Chosen Generation Africa holds career guidance sessions by experts from relevant fields in private organizations, government, school and community. It makes special efforts to spread awareness for self-employment, oriented vocational education and motivates youth as well as their parents to provide support to the youth in their efforts.
• Help set goals and work toward accomplishing them Along with our regular mentoring program, Chosen Generation Africa Ltd intends to also offer the a specially designed Mentoring Program for Children of Prisoners: Mentoring Children of Prisoners (MCP) Mentoring Children of Prisoners supports the creation and maintenance of one-on-one mentoring relationships between children of incarcerated parents and caring, supportive adult volunteer mentors. It takes a special heart to mentor children with incarcerated parents.
DRUG AWARENESS CAMPS Chosen Generation Africa organizes camps in slum areas and locales inhabited by socially and financially disadvantaged strata not only for disseminating awareness about harmful effects of Drugs but also spread knowledge about methods for de-addiction. Until now, more than 15 individuals in Namungoona-Rubaga Division have benefited from the de-addiction drive launched by Chosen Generation Africa Limited. The drug awareness camps are one of the basic components of our role in community development.
HIV/AIDS Relief- (Light of Hope Project) Under the AIDS Relief Program, Chosen Generation Africa runs a number of programs including but not limited to (OVC)orphans and vulnerable children at risk, following and tracking PLWHIV (People Living with HIV/AIDS), Psycho-social care and support, Voluntary Counselling and Testing for HIV (VCT) Comprehensive HIV/AIDS
Sensitization and outreaches Spiritual Empowerment: Spiritual direction is the practice of being with people as they attempt to deepen their relationship with the divine, or to learn and grow in their own personal spirituality. The person seeking direction shares stories of his or her encounters of the divine, or how he or she is cultivating a life attuned to spiritual things. The director listens and asks questions to assist the directee in his or her process of reflection and spiritual growth. This form of counseling explores the spiritual aspects of being human and helps us awaken to our sense of meaning and purpose in our lives.
• To identify, tap and optimally harness the potential of the under-privileged classes of the society in such a way as to strike a judicious balance between their own quality of life as well as towards their meaningful contribution to the society/nation
Defining Destinies and being a Beacon of Hope for the young generation and community
To see a transformed generation positioned in its rightful destiny
Normally, the children in the age group of 5- 18 years leave their homes due to poverty, abuse and dysfunctional families. Hence the broad perspective of this project is to
Provide slum children, a childhood that they never experienced by providing capacity building programs, safety, love and basic recreational services.
Provide basic literacy and scholastic materials for those who wish to study further
Provide regular health checkups with trained medical personnel giving much emphasis to those infected with HIV&AIDS by Post Test campaigns and adherence to treatment.
Provide counseling services.
Encourage street children to kindle their potential by providing creative opportunities.
Make available a secure place where slum children can play and enjoy their childhood.
Instill public awareness and respect for the rights and lives of slum children